Anything Ken Peplowski plays is wonderful but what makes this CD really special is the wide-ranging material Ken has put together. He has picked songs from composers that normally would not be joined together in a single CD. The lists includes John Lennon, Duke Ellington, Noel Coward, Herbie Nichols, Peter Erskine, Anthony Newley and Bernard Herrmann. Ken is joined on this CD by three outstanding musicians, Ehud Asherie on Piano, Matt Wilson on Drums, Martin Wind on Bass and Ken Peplowski joining the group on Clarinet and Tenor Sax.
Talking about "Enrapture", Ken Peplowski offers the following comments: "A year or so of sifting through material, a year or so playing with these great musicians, and very little time in the studio; we really wanted to approximate what we do in the clubs. This is us, in as close to a live setting as one could ask for in a recording environment. Every song in pretty much one take--we just like to capture the spontaneity and interplay of four people who enjoy making music together".
1. "The Flaming Sword" -Duke Ellington
2. "An Affair To Remember"- Harry Warren/Leo McCarey/Harold Adamson
3. "Oh, My Love"- John Lennon/Yoko Ono
4. "Cheer Up, Charlie"- Leslie Bricusse/Anthony Newley
5. "I'll Follow My Secret Heart"- Noel Coward
6. "Enrapture"- Herbie Nichols
7. "Twelve"- Peter Erskine
8. "Veritigo Scene D'Amour"- Bernard Herrmann
9. "When October Goes"- Barry Manilow/Johnny Mercer
10. "Willow Tree"- Thomas "Fats" Waller/Andy Razaf
I have attached two "YouTube" videos for your listening pleasure. The first one is "Enrapture" with Ken on Clarinet and the second is "When October Goes" with Ken on Tenor Sax.